Class hours: 9:40 – 2:05
- Today is an EHS A Day and an Early Release Day –
- Carter, bus leaves at 1:35 today
- EHS A Day students start classes at 12:25pm – remember
- SLC Meeting today – Ryan – bring your lunch with you meeting @11:45
- Three weeks from today is the last Day before vacation
- Game Day (yes, we are going to have one)
9:45 CSS Grid & Flex box- Class Project – Building a Calendar for December
This is a surprising easy project using CSS Grid. Let’s do this together. We’ll code in Atom.
It’s known that HTML is for structure and CSS is for style. However, CSS Grid does provide a lot of structure too.
This calendar can be styled many ways. Let’s focus on the fundamentals first. Then go at the project and give it some of your own styles. When complete, FTP to your fileserver.
10:35 Mask Break
10:45 SKILLS USA Introduction with Ms. Knight
Skills USA is a national organization made up of students, teachers and industry partners working together to prepare students for successful careers in nearly every industry sector.
SkillsUSA serves Middle School, High School and College/PostSecondary students.
Look around the room – see all of the award banners! CAWD has a history of success with Skills USA
- How can it help you? Polish your resume, get ready to apply to college and the workforce.
- A team from CAWD (MMU / EHS) each won a $40,000 scholarship to college for winning Gold Medal in Web Design to an art school in Boston.
- A team from CAWD (CVU / CVU) won Silver in Web Design, earning free tuition to Sullivan University. (Gold medal got free tuition along with Room and Board).
- Lots of free software, books, and accolades to put on your college applications.
Welcome Ms. Knight – CTE’s Skills USA Advisor and CTE’s Work Based Learning Coordinator
11:15 WEBsite REdesign: Victim: Purinton Tree Farm https://www.purintontreefarm.com
In my house we celebrate both Hanukkah and Christmas. Last week I cut down a tree from Purinton Tree Farm out in Huntington. They are great people and the trees are excellent. However, they do not have a great website. Their website was made using the WIX platform that has lots of predesigned layouts. I’m not convinced they chose the right template.
Good thing you all are web designers.
The Task: Design a new Website for Purinton Tree Farm
- Three page website with linking pages
- Head tags with meta data
- Updated and modern styling
- Loyal to the brand and business
- Use images on the site as you see fit
- Copyright Free content if you are using additional images (or take your own!)
- No Facebook embed, repeat no Facebook embed
- HTML, CSS Validation, also, no web-aim accessibility errors (wave.webaim.org)
- One Breakpoint for screens smaller than 414px
- Commented Clean Code
- Upload final website to the server. PurintonTreeFarm
This Project is Due end of day, Wednesday, December 8th
Things you are encouraged to try (but not required):
- Creating a sketch design / wireframe
- use a KanBan board to organize your work
- variables & custom properties
- pseudo classes
- font-awesome icons
- hero styling / hero images / hero typography
- Grid or Flexbox layouts
- Type Scales for typography
- Custom divs, gradients
- Interactivity with JS
11:45 Mood Board / Portfolio Inspiration Showcase!
12:45 Project Snowflake (analog)
1:10 Mask Break
1:20 Independent Work Time and Guided Support
Finish the December Calendar – adding your personal styles (due end of day)
Purinton Tree Farm Web Redesign (due December 8th)
Overdue work (now due)