Class Hours: 9:40 – 2:05
9:45 Welcome and Introduction
Welcome all to Step Up Day for the CAWD class of 2024!
Our expectations for the day:
- Drinks / food / bathrooms / lunch
- Interview day / we are interviewing each other
- Today you will practice the roles of:
- Traditional Artist
- 3D Modeler / Animator
- Game Level Designer / Game Texture Artist
- Web Designer
- Staying on task
- Getting a photo of you for our admissions meetings tomorrow
- Afternoon writing sample and language survey
9:50 Traditional Art Exercise: “The Curve” (15 minutes)
- No right or wrong way to do this, just be creative
- Make sure to sign your name in the corner so we know who is who’s
10:05 Blender Intro (15 Minutes)
- Blender is or 3D art software – and it is is free to download
- First we will watch the sizzle reel and learn the basics
10:20 Career Focus: Game Artist (35 Minutes)
- This morning we are going to build a low poly tree as if you are a game artist
- We will connect to a color palette
- We will export for use in our Game Engine in the next workshop
10:55 Morning Break (5 minutes)
- 10 Minute break – you have to exit the room.
- When the door near the TV is open, you are welcome to come back in.
11:00 Career Focus: Animator (15 Minutes)
- We are going to create a very basic animation of our tree to sell our game asset
11:15 Unreal Intro (10 Minutes)
This morning we are going to explore UE5, the newest version of Unreal and utilize the tree we made earlier.
11:25 Career Focus: Level Designer (15 Minutes)
- The basics
- Import tree and place in sandbox world
11:40 Career Focus: Level Designer with Terrain (15 Minutes)
- Creating a landscape
- Manipulating with terrain tools
- Adding our game asset (tree)
11:55 Career Focus: Game Texture Artist (10 Minutes)
- Creating a material for terrain
- Exploring settings / making it weird
12:15 Lunch (30 Minutes)
- No food in the room / eat in the Cafe.
- You are welcome to return to the room when you have finished eating and work / hang out.
12:50 Web Design
What is Web Design: Web design is essentially the act of working with a creative team or creative people to combine writing and graphical elements to create a compelling message online.
We know this better as a web page!
- HTML forms the structure of webpages
- CSS creates the style, look and graphical elements that make the page appealing to look at
Let’s check out a webpage together to get a better idea. Sample Page
Today we’ll create our own Profile Web Page and learn a bit about web coding.
To write code, we’ll use a code editor. CAWD’s code editor of choice is free – Visual Studio Code
1:40 Writing Sample / Language Survey
Clear & effective communication is import to our industries. To wrap up our Step Up Day experience we are going to all receive a packet to get a bit more information about you.
This packet has 3 parts:
- Respond to the prompt “How is the tech center going to help you reach your goals?“
- Respond to the prompt “Write about your favorite thing / activity / person / place“
- Fill out a very quick home language survey
When complete you have the remainder of the time to explore the programs, ask questions, etc.