Class hours: 9:40 – 2:05
- Today is an EHS A Day and CTE White Day
- EHS wacky day – EHS classes begin at 12:25pm.
- Pet Portrait Challenge – Let’s take a look
10:00 Bus Evacuation Practice
10:20 Text Effects Review
Yesterday we looked at the properties and selector options available for our text layers. Please take a look at the notes if you were not here in the afternoon. I encourage you to do a little experimenting.
We can browse and apply text animation presets by looking at the collection of Effects and Presets panel.
If found a pretty good summary with examples from Motion Island.
For fun, let’s look at using paths with our text. This is also a good introduction into using masks.
If you have a layer selected when you grab a shape or pen tool, you are making a mask
If you do not have a layer selected and you grab a shape or pen tool, you will be making a new shape layer
Look under the effects and presets panel or the effects drop down. Experiment!
10:45 Making the Most of Masks with After Effects
Vocabulary Alert: Compositing
Compositing is bringing two or more picture elements together to make a single image.
Compositing can be done with video by combining still images, graphics and video along with color corrections, special effects, etc… to create a seamless composite.
Masks are a key ingredient to doing a proper composite. Masks allow you to determine the visibility of specific parts of a layer,
Masking is a powerful way to create and animate with Motion Graphics. This morning, let’s practice a little more with tools for Masks.
- Creating Masks – basic properties
- Mask properties
- Transforming and animating masks
Let’s start with some basics to create a simple reveal.
Instructions for working with Masks in After Effects
11:30 Resume Workshop
You are a senior manager for a small web / media design firm. As you know, small businesses are often short on time and resources. As a small firm, you are really connected with the community and finding the right replacement is key to your team and brand.
A valuable full time Junior Animator gave you three weeks notice. She determined that she is interested in taking a break, spreading her wings and exploring the US on her motorcycle. Her job responsibilities included:
- Conceptualize, develop, and animate ideas for a variety of projects, including everything from logo animations to informative videos.
- Storyboard projects for both video and animation.
- Create a variety of motion graphics projects with different subjects and visuals for many different clients.
- Help out on editing video projects when needed.
- Participate in creative meetings with other departments to help improve projects.
- Handle multiple projects with competing deadlines.
Questions to consider
- What are the qualities you are looking for?
- What are some skill sets that you would like to see demonstrated?
- How can you be sure the next person you hire will fit into your business?
- (What would you like to see in the application?)
12:00 DESSA registration with Ms. Charron
DESSA-High School Edition suite has helped districts and out-of-school time programs support students grades 9-12 grow their social and emotional competence in preparation for college and career. CTE is a career and college preparation program this program is a new initiative this year. In a couple of weeks, we’ll do the survey (confidential) as part of class time.
Slideshow to set up accounts
12:45 Photography Break
Let’s get outside and shoot in manual mode. Your goal is proper exposure and in focus. Don’t forget composition – that’s important too!
1:20 20% Production Time & Guided Support
20% Project – Due Monday, September 26th
Animated Personal Logo – Due Tuesday, September 27th